New California Licenses Required For Third-Party Logistics Providers (3PLs)

Wood gavel on stack of red law booksThis announcement was just sent by the California Board of Pharmacy:

“Companies that do not own, but receive, store and ship prescription drugs and prescription devices into or within California need to obtain a third-party logistics provider (3PL) license immediately with the California State Board of Pharmacy.

Formerly, these entities were licensed as wholesalers or nonresident wholesalers by the Board of Pharmacy, but with passage of federal legislation in November 2013 and Assembly Bill 2605 (Bonilla) in 2014, entities that were previously licensed by the board as wholesalers need to obtain a different license as a third-party logistics provider as well as designate a responsible manager and secure licensure of specialized employees who will serve as designated representatives – 3PLs.

Wholesalers that operate as 3PLs need to work with the board to achieve compliance and become properly licensed.

To view the legislation, go to:

For a 3PL application, go to:

For more information, call the Board of Pharmacy at: (916) 574-7900.”

You might also be interested in:

Link to AB-2605 Pharmacy: third-party logistics providers.(2013-2014)

Go to The Designated Representative and Exemptee Training Website


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,